Our mission is to provide financial assistance to at-risk youth in the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina to participate in athletic, academic and spiritual programs. We also continue the mission of the Ricky Proehl Foundation by supporting other North Carolina children's charities.
Founded in 1995 as The Ricky Proehl Foundation by Kelly and Ricky Proehl
The Foundation raised over 1.5 million in support of North Carolina Children’s Charities in 10+ years
Became the P.O.W.E.R. of Play Foundation in 2008, to serve at risk youth in the Piedmont Triad while continuing to support NC Children’s Charities
We Focus on Children in our community because:
- 77% of American Youth are left home alone every afternoon- US Census Bureau
- Most juvenile offenses occur around 3pm on weekdays- NC Dept. of Juvenile Justice
- The average cost per family for their children to participate in extracurricular activities is $2,000 per year- NBC News
- There are over 510,000 children in the foster care system. The average amount of time a child spends in care is 28 months, and the average number of different placements a child receives is 3.- AFCARS
- 13.87% of children in the U.S. have some sort of developmental disability (including ADHD and autism)- CDC
- The prevalence of developmental disabilities has increased 17.1% in the last decade (equivalent to 1.8 million children)- CDC
The Ricky Proehl P.O.W.E.R. of Play Foundation directly addresses these issues. The Foundation provides financial assistance to children in an effort to help their families afford academic and athletic programs.
The Foundation also works with other local nonprofits to provide academic and athletic programming to children they serve in the community.